Re: [teacherartexchange] Quick Question on watercolor

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 07:25:56 PST

staciemich@aol.com wrote:
> Some of you told me not to close the watercolor boxes because they will
> not dry properly. I left them open last night, yet they are still
> completely goopey. Does it take a while for them to solidify?

I had to reply to this issue: with a long answer to a
quick question.

In my Middle School art room, we used the Prang 16 color sets.
(Black, Brown and White were substituted with other colors)
I always had students leave them open and carry them back to
a supply table for the next class and lay them down flat
and fairly dirty.

1. Washing out the colors
sent expensive pigment down the drain.

2. If they closed the lids,
They would not carry the paints flat and they would drip all
over the floor.

3. Colors do get dirty, but I strongly encouraged
mixed colors anyway.

4. Gooey paints the next day are fine since
the first thing I instruct students to do is drop a brush full
of clean water into each pan color prior to painting so they
will soften up.

5. We used the ovals because there were no corners
for the paint to be left in.

I really love watercolor, yet I found it a challenge to
teach to children. I always remember my beloved High School
art teacher telling us how really difficult watercolor was.
I knew never to tell my students that. I painted very timid
watercolors after High School because I was scared to do
it wrong. Now I know that doing it wrong is the best way.
Finding good enough materials for young students to have
real success is the challenge.

                        Loving Watercolors, Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque