Re: [teacherartexchange] License Renewal

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 04:29:20 PST

I know in Kansas the new method of earning Personal Development Points (of
which 1/2 may be used towards recert if you don't have a master's) is that
you must get even college credits pre-approved through your local committee
before you can use them in your license renewal. Also, with NCLB being in
full swing, you may not use any course that doesn't mesh with what you are
teaching. But, as an art teacher I do have more choices than other teachers.
I could take a college class in math or reading (since those are required
state mandated school improvement goals), art, computers, or basic
education. So, in Kansas, your rubberstamping classes "might" work for PDP
points IF you could justify how this benefits your classroom. With testing
becoming such high-stakes, everything is changing, and not necessarily for
the better.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids