[teacherartexchange] printmaking help

---------

From: ceastman (ceastman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 00:52:55 PST

hello all,
i'm trying to do a collagraph project with 4th graders and am having
problems. i'm using a new small Econo-etch press and made plates using
poster board, burlap, string, etc. everything is glued down securely,
then painted over with acrylic paint and dried for a couple of days. i
put saran wrap over to print a "blind" (is that the correct term for
not inked?) collagraph and that worked. but when i coat the plate with
acrylic paint the paper sticks and ruins everything.
i'm just using construction paper dampened and blotted dry.
i think i remember doing this process in school and we used shellac but
this seems toxic to use in elementary.
anyone have any advice for me?
thanks,
linda in michigan