Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] My Product Preferences

---------

From: Barb Felsecker (felsecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 20:01:56 PST

In my acrylic painting classes I have the students (each) bring in a 150 ct.
bag of styrafoam plates and a small spray bottle. They usually use one
plate each day of class during the term (approx. 42-45 days). We go over
the characteristics of acrylic paint and I remind them daily to take only
about a quarter's worth of the colors they need, at a time. They can always
come back and get more if they need to. About 20 minutes before class
ends, I have them return their palettes to me and I scrap off any of the
left-over acrylic paint that I can salvage that isn't "spoiled", back into
the jars while they make sure their brushes are all cleaned thoroughly and
their table is cleaned off. Then into each jar, I spritz a little water,
mix it up with the paint, and screw the lid back on. This "economizing"
works well for my classes. I also use scrap illustration board pieces cut
into narrow strips for stir sticks...works well for scooping up paint from
the jars. Dick Blick had a great sale, recently, on Liquitex Basics in the
smaller 8-oz jars and also the black and white in the larger 32-oz jars
(about 48% off).

BF

I also save up all my Cool Whip containers for water bowls. Glass breaks
and tin cans get rusty.