Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] My Product Preferences

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 18:41:01 PST

Hi Amy,

As to the towels: they are just cut up bath towels--I brought a bunch of old
ones from home. I pretty much use them for about a week--then the
custodian takes them away and they get washed, and he returns clean
ones--rags, they call them. (He just started doing this for me, for some
reason--guess he likes me!--otherwise, I would probably bring them home
every week to wash them. The ones I brought from home have gotten combined
with the school's rags--but that's o.k.--nice to have them get washed!) My
room is really hot--I have a counter where the vents pour heat, so often
during lunch I throw the towels on there, and they're dry by the time lunch
is over. Then I re-use them. At the end of the day, I drape them over the
counters to dry during the night. I encourage kids, when they are cleaning
their brushes, to get the paint off the brushes in the water before they dab
the extra water off on the towels--so they don't get full of paint. I just
started doing this this year, and I really like it--used to have the kids
get paper towels, but ours are very nonabsorbent--and it's just one more
thing to have to deal with. As for the cool whip bowls--they are all the
same--I let kids know that if they really clean the brushes in the
water--and then dry them on the towels--that they don't have to keep running
to change the water continually. When a class cleans up--the kids refill the
containers and leave them on the counter for the next class to use. Avoids
having such a traffic jam at my one small sink when we are getting supplies
ready.

With the magazine pages--I tear out a bunch of pages, then trim the edge
with the paper cutter (so they don't stick together). I keep them in a box
on the counter. It sounds like a pain, but it really doesn't take long to
cut a whole bunch. (One note: I have learned to be selective about the
magazines I cut up--all of them are magazines donated by parents, but some
of the ads can make some of the rowdy kids very silly and
disrespectful--underwear ads, etc. So much for women's mags!) When they are
getting ready for painting, someone at each table gets a page for each
person at their table. Then, if they need to, they get additional pages
(throwing their old ones away).

So, anyway--works for me. Oh--I don't use this method with acrylic
paint--for that, I save small plastic lidded containers (which parents have
donated), and set up five trays worth of the various colors that I us

Mary H.