Conference advice

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 21:17:05 PST

Hello, all,

In the past we've usually posted advice for attending the NAEA
conference. You veterans can add to my list...

1. Wear your most comfortable clothes and shoes. You'll be alternately
sitting--sometimes on the floor--and dashing off to the next session.
The rooms are usually chilly, so you might like having a blazer or light
jacket.
2. When you pick up your registration materials, start going through
the catalog of events and make a daily schedule, noting time and place
and which FLOOR the session is on. You'll save a lot of time that way.
  I also have to schedule meals or I forget to eat in all the excitement!
3. Get some exercise between sessions or at the hotel by using stairs;
the elevators usually entail a long wait.
4. Try to get to the sessions a little early and sit up front. You're
more likely to get a handout. Please don't leap over people to grab a
handout.
5. What to bring: a tote bag; camera; poster tube; paper clips and
some file folders to organize handouts; extra pencils and paper for
notetaking; a small flashlight so you can take notes when the lights are
out.
6. Be nice to the vendors. Take the time to talk to them, ask
questions, comment on how you like their products. So many people just
cruise by sweeping samples into their tote bags. I have gotten some
fantastic items that weren't offered as samples, simply because I
stopped to chat.
7. Remember you will have to lug all those samples back. Forgo the
catalogs; just get on the mailing lists. Some people bring an extra,
empty suitcase just for taking back stuff.

I still have my ArtsEdNet badge that Judy Nagel made for us a couple
years ago. It's neon orange. Look for it and introduce yourself!

Maggie

---