Re: thoughts on being a pack rat, but I have these styrofoam trays

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 17:11:51 PST

Hi Diane,
    For my primary level kids, we cut up the rims of the plates into
different shapes and sewed them together to make necklaces la King Tut.
Corny, but the students liked them! And I brought in a lot of history of
King Tut's tomb and the treasures found there. We cut out hieroglyphic
symbol shapes, too, that correspond to the letters in their names. The
surface of the styrofoam can be "tooled" with stamping tools, or hammer and
nail. Sharpie markers work on styrofoam for accent marks. Thick acrylic
paint, to which some gold or copper paint can be added, will give an
authentic finish.
    Just thought of another use. We used these plates to make mosaics with
seeds, beans, etc. The tray forms a frame and makes a handy storage area
during work time. After the mosaics are finished, you can thread a piece of
pipe cleaner through the center top of the frame and make a loop for
hanging. I always used the standard Elmer's glue for this type of project.

                    Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                    Art teacher, K-5, retired

> On the other hand, one parent gave me 350 heavy Styrofoam meat trays - the
> bag stands about 3 feet tall.

> Diane Purdie
> Industrial Art

---