Bill Gates quote (Long) - what you won't learn in school

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 12:22:26 PST

> Larry asked;
>> All I want to know from Bill Gates as concerns his 80,000 square foot
>> home and technology he has wired into it...is how much art graces his
>> walls, floors, audio spaces, and time? I'd like to know what he has
>> to say about the value of the arts.

Gates is, at least a collector:
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/aug2001/nf20010814_884.htm
>> Microsoft's founders and top executives have reached an age where
>> they're starting to spend big money on art, books, and other
>> collectibles. These purchases are usually made privately with very
>> little fanfare. Often, they don't become known to the public. But,
>> over time, the treasures will start to show up in museums and public
>> exhibitions. And Seattle is likely to gradually emerge as one of the
>> nation's most important cultural centers -- part of a general buildup
>> of cultural influence on the West Coast already occurring in San
>> Francisco and Los Angeles.

Some time ago I read that Gates was buying up major works and
"digitizing" them for constantly changing displays within his home. I
don't have time to search for that information but this article does
give info that he is a collector.

Sometimes I think we fail to give credence and importance to the role
of the collector. I will always remember the question from my
aesthetics class some 30+years ago. "Who does art belong to? the one
that labors to make or the one that cherishes and buys and loves it?"
Hopefully Gates is buying all this art with more than investment in
mind, but then again is that not legitimate appreciation too?
We see all the kids at some point or another. Some kids never have art
again after 8th grade. Certainly the experience of creating is very
important but what about the the valuing and appreciation?
I have started an new way of getting to the aesthetics issues. I'm not
quite ready to post how I am doing that, but so far I am floored by the
student observation. I think teaching to value is just as important as
the making. If the bottom line is that Gates is only collecting for
the investment value, then so be it. At least he knows that art has
some monetary value.

Bill Gates is NOT responsible for the state of our schools. I am very
grateful that he pours so much money into trying to create innovative
and new solutions to the abyss. We need all kinds of people with all
kinds of ideas to make this system work. I am a follower of The George
Lucas Educational Foundation.
There are some rich rich folk out there trying to create some new
thinking and going far beyond the limitations the laws put on us.
and I think most of the answers will come from the private and not the
bureaucrats.

Patty

---