Re: Grading

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 08:11:45 PST

Hi Gail,

Is your goal to grade the art or give some indication to students that you appreciate their efforts?

I would definately try to find a solution that would not take so much of your time. Woody's idea might be a good idea.

Students could also self-evaluate using a generic form. Perhaps you are using other methods of assessment, too that examine their creative process rather than the end product. No matter what, please no your efforts to personalize will not go unnoticed by your students. I am sure they appreciate it.

Being an elementary art teacher is a huge job! I had over 900 students and I had to content myself with a simple checklist that I did when students were in class. I simply could not look at every child's work. I did hang up their work and there was always a special art exhibit in March in which students selected their favorite piece to hang in the show. I usually had older students help me hang the art over a couple of weeks.

At the university level I have large classes and I sometimes like to give students what may appear to them as a personal e-mail. I can do this by sending out what appears to be a personalized e-mail using eMerge. It takes time to set it up, but once it is set up I can send out generic e-mails that seem personalized. It works just like a word-processing mail merge program.

In one class, I have close to 80 students. So I can write several different generic encouraging e-mails, to recognize people who are doing a great job. All I have to do is deselect the names of students that the e-mail should not go to.

I can also send out a personalized e-mail to those students who are not attending class to encourage them to come to class or contact me, etc.