saving stuff

---------

From: L Mitchell (lismatisse_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 07:55:52 PST

STUFF is essential, but I have found that organization helps. I too have my still life stuff up high and arranged so kids can see and draw it where it is - but accessible enough to pull down when needed. I enjoyed getting things at Goodwill and yard sales from different cultures to add to the collection. Everyone notices it when the walk in. As far as saving things...when I moved schools and districts this year, I took my personal stuff, but left a lot of what I had collected for the past decade. Still moving into a new room with more than anyone else. I organize through those plastic boxes as well. Had better storage place at the old school, but have delt with it. I did email the staff when I arrived about collecting things like baby food jars and containers since the previous teacher was not a collector. I have a wonderful collection of different sized jars...with lids thanks to a wonderful staff member. On the other hand - was given a paper box FULL of OLD glue - it's Elmers, but
 brown and smelled. So all I can advise is watch out what you ask for, and be willing to throw it out. Definately start a picture file, I save postcards and posters from workshops, etc and plastered one whole wall when I arrived so the kids had all kinds of art to look at. Stepping into a new school, you never know what you'll have to start out with.
At my new school we have a "Golden Broom Award" that I have to decorate a broom for every month, needless to say I will never win for the cleanest room - but got over that very quickly. Best of luck with your hunting and gathering.
Lisa

"I am a strong supporter of the visual arts, but then again I am a visual art" --Kermit the Frog