Re: resource file - Woody

---------

From: leah rachlis (leah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 08:48:05 PST

Woody - You are such a comfort - and inspiration to me. I am in my 4th year of teaching in my own classroom, just yesterday, I was digging through a box of illustrated books to find an example of "fine detail" and an example of graphic/abstract to show my 6th graders who are starting a printmaking project...

I thought briefly that I had too much "stuff" - then I found 2 samples of each and gratefully presented the samples to my students. I thought back to my first year when my collection was less complete - I never would have been able to do that presentation.

Some how I have produced an obsessively organized daughter, I recently had to stop her from organizing boxes of mints as we waited in line at the coffee shop - Typically we spend a day or two at school during spring break, and she makes very neat piles out of my "Resources!" I do not understand her, but she is a constant source of amusement to me as I am to her.

To the budding art-ed student with the original questions - art/creativity is messy, you can always clean up after, but most kids - live to get messy in art class!

>I know a "few" neat and organized art teachers and they do
> a very good job with students. I don't understand them and
> I am uncomfortable in their classrooms, but to each their
> own. Everyone has a different mind set and a different way
> of working. I'm sure you will make it without boxes of
> needless junk.
> Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
>
> Amphibiouse@aol.com wrote:
>> my art ed. professor keeps saying i need to build a resource file that i can use when i teach. he wants me to collect as much junk as possible (old magazine, wallpaper scraps, old clothes, etc.) i am not a pack rat like he is i dont want to collect a bunch of junk that i probably wont use. any suggestions about what sort of things i should be collecting now? is this even important?

---