Good art teachers need "stuff"....unless

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 08:29:31 PST

Greetings Joe,

I see you have received a lot of good advice on this
already. You need lots of "stuff" to inspire
students....unless you are lucky and get a bunch of
self motivated - self directed students - who are very
creative and have lots of ideas of their own. In my
experience - kids needed ideas to get them jump
started.

If I were you.... I would start now to build an image
base (from the web) on artists I admire. More and more
sites are becoming right click protected - or now have
digital watermarks which do not allow you to save the
images - or if you do save them - you can not access
them. I have lost my entire Romare Bearden folder
because I saved some images that closed the entire
folder. Now if I want Romare Bearden, I need to figure
out what sites I saved images from that were OK for me
to save...and what sites may have watermarked images.

Images are free to you --and Fair Use does allow you
to use them in class as long as copyright information
is included on each PowerPoint slide. As you save
images - also save information about each image
(include your sources).

There will come a time when we may lose the ability to
save images from the web....Start getting ready now
for PowerPoint presentations on your favorite artists
- art styles. Invest some TIME.

Get a subscription to the following magazines:

Arts and Activites
School Arts
Smithsonian
National Geographic

Those will all have valuable "stuff" for you. I have
already given away (for cost of postage) much of my
"stuff"...Watch for my posts offering more. I still
have a bunch to give away (or sell for a fraction of
the price). I am retured now....and want my "stuff" to
get some use with kids.

Sounds like you have a pretty good art education
instructor, Joe. If you are going to meet the
standards - you will need "stuff" (visual
resources)and many schools are not willing to give you
the funds to do that. Having many good PowerPoint
presentations prepared might be a good marketing tool
for you as well as you interview for positions. USE
what is free to you now.

Regards,

Judy Decker