free stuff and collecting stuff for being an art teacher

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 04:43:39 PST

The no one source for free stuff will be your staff and parents at your
school. Send out a list of things you are looking for that is very open
ended.
No matter what age you will not have enough money for what you want to
teach. I have taught for 30 years and I did not understand the woman ( 28
years ago) who I shared a house with. she was an elementary art teacher and
she had a whole closet of recycled stuff. I had my nose up in the air.
BUT when you suddenly need twenty yogurt or 30 cool whip containers, or
jars, or... You will find it hard to eat all that in a week. She saved
every thing. So do I now. Even when you haven 't a clue what it's use it,
the creative kid will pick it up and say wow... and off it goes.
-Save containers with lids for sorting every thing. all sizes.
-I could not have survived with out my plastic show boxes. clear with
lids, and try to get them at one dollar each.
- save interesting wrapping paper and ribbons for small book arts
- save all magazines, catalogs. Ask friends to do so. Get a subscription
to National Geographic.
- look at craft and arts stores for really good deals, and bye stuff like
ribbon when it is 4 for a dollar.
-look up recycling centers in your areas. Sometimes it is all you get in a
bag for 5 dollars.
-ask ALL your relatives and friends to clean out their closets and give you
any bits an pieces of arts and craft projects.
- neve pass a large ball of string. People all ways need string at my
school.
-start a wish tree bulletin board at your elementary school. Where you put
a wish for say 20 glues sticks and a parent can will your wish.
- leave your name at your local library for any discarded books, which can
be used for collage and altered books.
- haunt your local businesses for ends of papers, or any possible discarded
stuff.
If this seems like too much work, being an ART teacher is hard work.
Good luck. randy in Maine

---