Re: importance of art ed

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 17:48:45 PST

Joe,
        I'm sure you will get a long list of reasons the arts
should be part of the curriculum. I'll keep my reasons brief.
The arts are an essential part of a full life. To deny the arts
to children is to short change them. I always argued that the
other subjects were there to support my art program. I taught
for 27 years in the same inner city middle school. I know many
children who only came to school because of their art or music
classes. Art gives you a reason to learn, a reason to care.
Quite simply it keeps kids attention focused on a goal in life.
Now, when I say the arts I mean: Visual Arts, Music, Drama and
Dance. Too few schools offer a really broad range of the arts.
Rather than cut, we need to expand the arts offerings in our
schools.
        Good luck in your search for reasons to maintain and
expand the arts for children. And, welcome to a rewarding
profession.
                                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons