Duties, length of elementary classes- That's LIFE!

---------

From: LaDonna Dixon (ldixon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 10:45:22 PST

Hey now- It' not all peaches-n-cream here. My schedule I like...but no
time to rest (how about visiting the restroom? Talk about teacher
bladder). Related Arts have the morning planning from
8:15-8:55am.....Then 6 classes back to back with 5 minutes in between,
that would be if teachers don't bring their kids early or pick them up
late- Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ...25 minutes for lunch in the middle and car
duty everyday all year long. We all know that related arts teachers get
the shaft on extra duty because we don't have a homeroom to "watch"
until all the buses/cars have been called....It's Life but Life is
GOOD!

LaDonna Dixon, NBCT
Visual Art Teacher
Round Top Elementary
803-691-8676 x. 3304

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take
 but by the moments that take our breath away."

>>> zandeerae@comcast.net 02/23/05 9:07 AM >>>
In reading the answers, I am amazed that there are principals who are
so
flexible as to want reasonable lengths for art classes, or who even
care. In
our town everyone had a hour, good or not, even the kindergartens.
more
often than not there was no time inbetween classes and the art, music
and
phys. ed. teachers had duties both morning and afternoon. In the rooms,
at
least three of them there was no room for a rug to gather, in truth,
hardly
room to walk around the tables when children were in the room.
Les in Framingham

Leslie Miller
Fountain Street Studios
Framingham, MA

From: Diane C. Gregory [mailto:dianegregory@earthlink.net]
Subject: Re: Length of art classes in the elementary

I like 55 to 60 minutes, if I can have a 5 to 10 minute break. This
would
be for early years.

When children are in 4-6th grade I like having 90 minutes every two
weeks;
kind of like block scheduling.

From: lia <johnsolia@sbcglobal.net>

I have taught 45-60 minutes....at elementary. I really like 45 with
K-1
...but if I had to decide on only one time slot I would take 55 or 60
minutes over 45 or less. It is amazing how much difference the extra
10
minutes makes...lia

  The principal has encouraged me to
>either lengthen some of the teaching periods, or have art twice a week
>round
>out the second day of teaching. I wondered if some of you might have
any
>opinions on how long an art period seems ideal for various elementary
>grades.
> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
>Lisa

---