RE: Length of art classes in the elementary

---------

From: Leslie Miller (zandeerae_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 06:07:45 PST

In reading the answers, I am amazed that there are principals who are so
flexible as to want reasonable lengths for art classes, or who even care. In
our town everyone had a hour, good or not, even the kindergartens. more
often than not there was no time inbetween classes and the art, music and
phys. ed. teachers had duties both morning and afternoon. In the rooms, at
least three of them there was no room for a rug to gather, in truth, hardly
room to walk around the tables when children were in the room.
Les in Framingham

Leslie Miller
Fountain Street Studios
Framingham, MA

From: Diane C. Gregory [mailto:dianegregory@earthlink.net]
Subject: Re: Length of art classes in the elementary

I like 55 to 60 minutes, if I can have a 5 to 10 minute break. This would
be for early years.

When children are in 4-6th grade I like having 90 minutes every two weeks;
kind of like block scheduling.

From: lia <johnsolia@sbcglobal.net>

I have taught 45-60 minutes....at elementary. I really like 45 with K-1
...but if I had to decide on only one time slot I would take 55 or 60
minutes over 45 or less. It is amazing how much difference the extra 10
minutes makes...lia

  The principal has encouraged me to
>either lengthen some of the teaching periods, or have art twice a week to
>round
>out the second day of teaching. I wondered if some of you might have any
>opinions on how long an art period seems ideal for various elementary
>grades.
> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
>Lisa

---