Re: K and 1st....adding reading and discussion to art lesson

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 18:44:22 PST

I do the same on many occasions. In the beginning of the year kinders
have the attention of beebees and roll around much like them, too. I
still love them anyway!! Stories, dramatization, for example, acting
like the animal in the painting and then going back to draw or paint
their favorite animal. "Simon Says" or "I Spy" works well. Sometimes
I will pull out an art tool like a paintbrush and after watching a quick
video, I pass the brush and have the child say his/her name and
something they learned or a part they liked, etc. in the video. In the
early weeks of school, I also set up stations with different materials
for them to experiment. I don't know how much room you have in your trunk!!

Good luck. Sandy

---