Re: creative thinking

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 12:55:38 PST

On Feb 20, 2005, at 8:18 PM, Elizabeth Heisey wrote:

> I am really into the creativity theory espoused by Eric Maisel and I
> wondered if anyone teaches creativity theory to their students. If so,
> do you have a name you like? I have searched 'creativity theory' lots
> of ways and don't get a whole lot. Maybe someone had this as a class
> or text in college? It seems to really encourage the students, anyway.
> Not to mention me!
> Beth

I like Roger von Oech. I just purchased his "Creative Whack Pack" and
"Innovative Whack Pack" These are card games with strategies to spur
different thinking. I'm not sure how I will implement the games in
the classroom, but it's a thought coming and in progress.

Many of the strategies are similar to the Design and Art Synectics
books some of us have been using for years. I get a newsletter from
Innovation Tools. com. It's a business site. Businesses are very
concerned with finding ways to get creative thinking among employees
in all fields.

Can we teach creative thinking? I 'm not sure. But I think we can give
the problem solving that will lead to certain notions that will be
more creative.

I think the best way to get different thinking is to play games and
offer choices and be smart enough to challenge the choices and push for
risks. Too many lessons are geared to a result that suggest an
expectation that is predetermined in the teacher mind. Somewhere
along the process I think we should all stop and ask to what other
level it can go?
I make lessons without an expectation, I like to challenge for a "turn"
in the midst --- how can you take it to another level?
Patty

---