Creativity theory: Jan

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 10:22:03 PST

Fearless Creating is what I am reading now, and offering bits and
pieces of it to my students every day or so. I have been just giving
them quotes that are to be found all over his books. For example, from
Paul Klee, "As, in full view of the world, the crown of the tree
unfolds and spreads in time and space, so does the artist's work." On
Valentines day we read Janis Ian's 'My goal is to write great songs.
Not basic songs or hit songs, but great songs." Then we looked at her
"At seventeen I learned the truth..." lyric briefly. (Personal note:
not one kid knew this song!) Anyway, how she got a thousand valentines
the year that song was a hit made them think. I think this kind of
stuff is great for one-day boosts but also for long term challenges.
There are artist 'issues', I call them, like... whose art is it anyway?
(YOURS), working with previously rejected ideas, retaining ideas you
had before you started this process, working deeply, living a
tradition, and many other very fruitful ways to think. I want to do
more with sketchbooks, and I think I will use various isolated passages
from many chapters as stimulus. He speaks to all the arts--music,
drama, writing, etc. which I like. I think HS kids are especially young
to be narrowed to one. So I give drawing assignments but also these
creativity type challenges. But I am just starting out. I love this
Maisel guy but thought there must be more like this in Psych and art?
or somewhere.
Beth
On Feb 21, 2005, at 7:49 AM, Hillmer, Jan wrote:

> Share more?
>
> Jan

---