Re: Are today's kids really techno-saavy?

---------

From: CZ-Maico-Mail (gmosborne_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 15:51:15 PST

With technology today, kids have so much more stuff to utilize and at the
same time, get lost in.
I have found it just makes kids more numb to things around them.
Kids will wear there discmans and Ipod's all day if you let them..It is so
easy for them to tune out, not tune in. (pun intended)
With their phones attached to their hips and pagers etc. There is too much
technology to distract them, and we might as well include
a double tall latte in with that technology.
So many kids in my classes are getting speeding tickets. I think it has to
do with all the distractions they have around them.
It amazes that so many H.S. kids have 2 or more tickets and they are not
even 18.
They just dont pay attention to the world around them...even adults for that
matter. How many kids/adults do you see on the phone, drinking a double tall
latte and trying to song surf their sirius radio, and at the same time watch
their in dash DVD and GPS system.
Technology has made so many kids just withdraw into it. They are tech-drawn.
(withdrawn into technology)
In my class, I have a no earphone/headphone, no hood up rule...Kids put up
their hoods, pull it over their eyes, and turn up their music, anything to
be lost in themselves.
Technology is great, I am a tech geek for that matter. But at times find
myself wandering around the internet...You can spend hours, days just
surfing the net and reading stuff...Same with kids, chat rooms, IM, message
boards, you name, anything for brainless hang time.

Anyhow...
Technology is numbing our kids beyond repair.

Gary
Puyallup WA

> ---
leave-artsednet-20361K@lists.getty.edu