RE: San D: computers

---------

From: Dr. Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 19:44:38 PST

I have used computers in art classrooms for many years and have not had any problems. I know many art teachers who do this. I can see how on the surface, one might think it is impractable, but it really isn't. There are ways to handle the integration.

Yes the programs you would use might be out of date by the time they get to college. The point is not to teach software, but to teach basic computer concepts/processes/techniques to create art. These concepts transfer to any situation, platform, software and art media. Students can adapt and transfer what they have learned to many new situations. The same can be said for art media. Drawing skills can transfer to printmaking and painting skills can transfer to color design work. There will always be new media and new technology. If we focus on the concepts/aesthetics and expressive power of the medium these will transfer to all new media.

Let us take a leap of faith and believe in the future.