Re: computers...and aesthetics

---------

From: Dr. Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 07:06:49 PST

Hi Larry,

For your workshop, consider introducing your students to the artwork of Andy Goldsworthy. He has a web site and PBS did a two hour movie about his work. It was terrific. Also, you might want to look at the writings of Peter London, an art educator who advocates integrating the natural environment into the art curriculum.

Consider that computer generated art's aesthetic is fleeting and continuous. It is not the same as traditional art. This doesn't make it any less effective...it is stream of consciousness, it is ongoing, it moves to a different beat. It can be impulsive, fast, short and in and out. This is a different way of doing things that is foreign to many of us...but does that approach or method make it anyless meaningful, powerful....It is just different and perhaps in time you will learn to appreciate the fleeting, rapid fire, impulsive, spontaneous, quick, direct, honest, momentary aesthetic process that can sometimes characterize computer art..it can be a different to experience making art. i love it because my "mistakes" can be undown, or "mistakes" can be copied when they are really good. Bits and pieces of my previous computer art can be copied and pasted into future art, and then it becomes a running dialogue.

Have you tried using Painter? This is a more expressive computer program that creates simulations of "real art tools" and adds the capabilities of computing with it. Many computer artists are gravatating to this program. Also many use a digital drawing tablet.

Your workshop sounds wonderful...

Diane