Re: computers

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 17:58:51 PST

On Feb 17, 2005, at 8:14 PM, strain@oise.utoronto.ca wrote:

> This is an interesting essay - Computer Art: A Contradiction in Terms
> by Paula Barclay.
> http://www.internationaldigitalart.com/articles/paula.html
>
> One of the artists mentioned in the article, Anna Ullrich, has won an
> award on this site:
> http://www.annau.com/ One of the nice aspects of this site is that
> you can hear the artist speak about his or her work, read an artist's
> statement and view technical aspects, eg. photography details and
> computer programs used to create the work. However, you have to go
> through the site to check out which pictures are appropriate to view.
>
> Shayne

Interesting article, thank you.

We have a lot of new issues in aesthetics to attend to.
Yesterday one of my photo students made a very interesting piece in
almost a matter of minutes. He found a photo in one of my ancient
National Geographic magazines. He scanned it into photoshop. This was
his first time with photoshop. But he found his way through the program
without anything from me and manipulated the photo in a very
interesting personal way. It was a very odd picture, he spent time
going through the old Geographics to find a picture he related to, he
manipulated it and made it his own statement. I don't see any
difference between what he did and Warhol. I'm not going to devalue
what he did. I'm going to show him more of what he can do with
photoshop as a tool just like a brush.
I think my job is to teach how to be honest in the manipulation and
abrogation .

Patty

---