Re: computers

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 15:19:56 PST

> and art teachers can teach elements and principles using computer
> technology. The focus should be on making something well designed and
> using the technology to facilitate that.

The history of art is driven by the available technology and the
advances in that technology. Why did things get so real in the
Renaissance? How did the advent of photography cause Impressionism?

if we hold that we have to get through the traditional in order to get
to the next step, then I guess we all should be grinding our own
pigments, and crushing berries and making our own charcoal.

I will be writing a new curriculum for a Digital Design class this
summer. My big question is how is the computer screen a format, maybe
just like a canvas? It certainly will involve teaching all the
aesthetic questions and design issues and the all the elements and
principles that make for communicating ideas.

If the technology is used for the bells and whistles, then the design
will be crap. Where is art going and what will it be? Years ago Pratt
had a poster that said -- art is the first language. Sometimes I feel
we are still fiddling too much with typewriters.

Perhaps the leaps in technology that are available is too much for the
traditional art teacher to handle. Is squishing clay more valid than
pushing buttons? The leaps and where we have to go are much more fast
paced than changing from egg tempora to oil paint. But didn't those
artists that made the leap give a new enlightenment in the history?

When I write my curriculum I will not be looking at the technology as a
tool . I will be looking to a leap. I will be looking to give students,
who are required to take an art course, an opportunity to use what I
know as an artist and apply it to what they know about pushing buttons.
I have always believed that art making is about observations. My job is
to steer their observations into the best means of communication. I
can't wait to give them all I know to make their communication better.

As educators we are asked all the time to try new things and new
methods. Those that fear the new stay in places of anger and
resentment. Those that take on the challenges smile a little more.
This week I am packing my rooms for a move to new building. With
everygthig I put in a box to move I think about what was and what is to
be. There is so much I am holding on to and so much I am trashing.
I wonder about holding and trashing and where I need to move on to .

Patty

---