Re: Gifted Students

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 13:47:38 PST

In a message dated 2/17/05 3:19:55 PM, jggrant@melbpc.org.au writes:

> How do most of you make sure that gifted students, specifically in the
> elementary school, are catered for in the art room?
>
> Gina
> Melbourne

Gina, I am so glad you asked! Student-centered choice-based teaching takes
care of most of the problems associated with meeting the needs of students
with a wide range of gifts and talents. There is a professional group of
teachers using this approach called the Teaching for Artistic Behavior Patnership
(TAB) We have an extensive online presence:
INTERNET RESOURCES FOR CHOICE-BASED ART TEACHING

http://knowledgeloom.org/
This is the “promising practice” in education site, funded initially by the
Department of Education and run by the Education Alliance at Brown University.
  Teaching for Artistic Behavior (TAB) professional group created the visual
art content. Register to interact with this website.

This is the listserv and Internet community created by the TAB Partnership.
Register at this site to post, take polls, view photos and lesson plans. A
vibrant, online art education community.

http://tabchoiceteaching.blogspot.com/
Katherine Douglas’ weblog. (elementary art, Massachusetts)

http://clydegaw.blogspot.com/
“Transition to Choice Based Art Education: This blog, will document my
transition to choice based art education in my classroom over the 2004-05 school
year. I plan to reflect on the transition, from a teacher centered art program to
a student-centered program augmented by electronic portfolios.” By Clyde
Gaw, elementary art teacher, Indiana.

http://%20www.cfralick.blogspot.com/
“Shifting the focus: choice-based art”
By Clark Fralick, elementary art teacher, Indiana

http://artatrms.blogspot.com/
Art at Rocky Mountain School in Colorado. This is a private school for gifted
and talented students.

http://choiceartroom.blogspot.com/
My Choice-Based Art Room, by Carolyn Bonomi, elementary art teacher,
Massachusetts

http://tabforspecialneeds.blogspot.com/
As of 3 Jan 2005, a "Teaching Artistic Behavior" Program (TAB) is being
applied in the PreK-12 art studio set up for students who are either deaf,
hard-of-hearing, or hearing with or without additional disabilities. Primary language
instruction is signed ASL, secondary in spoken English. by Kathy Velon,
Vermont.

http://artclassrules.blogspot.com/
Choice-Based Art Education by Amy Schultz, elementary art teacher, Ohio.

We find that some students who are not doing well academically are actually
visual thinkers and are gifted in the art room; some of the academically
talented children do more or less well. There are all sorts of learners, of
course, and choice-based teaching uses multiple entry points for students. Today
in a second grade class some of the students were drawing six panel comics: one
seven year old drew a shark story with vividly rendered sharks (drawn more
accurately than I could) while another student with developmental delays was
drawing his family in ink: his drawings are in the pre-schematic or "tadpole man"
stage. Each student chooses medium and subject matter and works
independently side by side with no problems. Take a look!
regards,
kathy douglas
massachusetts

---