Re: Teach Thru Technology

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 14:14:13 PST

I just got a wonderful book from Amazon
Digital Art Studio: Techniques for Combining Inkjet Printing and
Traditional Artist's Materials
by Karin Schminke, Dorothy Simpson Krause, Bonny Pierce Lhotka
$18.87
Product Description:
Utilizing the combined experience of three traditional artists turned
digital imaging pioneers, Digital Art Studio champions combining
traditional art techniques with digital media. From their unique
position as artists, educators, and technology consultants, the authors
provide a wide range of ways to integrate digital processes, using them
in unusual and challenging ways to reinvent traditional art techniques.
The computer is profiled as the ultimate mixed-media machine, allowing
the artist to readily combine an unbelievable array of media. The book
covers the basic processes for preparing commercially available
surfaces (canvas and watercolor and printmaking papers) and custom
surfaces (handmade papers, wood, leather, and antique fabrics). More
advanced methods are covered, including transferring digital images to
absorbent surfaces and transferring digital images to three-dimensional
surfaces. A showcase of the work of artists who have combined digital
and traditional materials to produce outstanding work will inspire all
artists, new and seasoned alike, to explore the new world of mixing
traditional art with digital media.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823013421/ref=pd_ir_imp/104
-5115193-9050305
  I haven't had the time yet to really study what is "doable" for me and
some of the projects require some hefty equipment, but I'm really eager
to explore and apply. I think it is imperative that we work on making
the transition from "what was" to "what will be."
We are in a crossroad in art between what we retain and what we
maintain to hold student interest and what direction is best,
especially for required art classes. I choose to focus on student
interest in the new and validate that with the lessons from the
traditional - whatever it takes to make them feel successful in
whatever the art experience is.

Patty
p.s. Seems many of us owe a big debt to Jon Nagy. Here in the
Philadelphia area I also had Gene London for inspiration. Too bad these
kinds of art experiences are absent from the mass media now.

---