Re: Teach Thru Technology

---------

From: Dr. Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 07:35:03 PST

Larry,

I understand your reasoning behind tactile vs. computer generated media. However, one does not need to choose between technology or tactile art media. Try blending the two together. This approach has inspired a completely different way of working with computers for me and my students. For example, you can have students do paintings, prints, drawings, sculptures and then scan or take digital pictures of these beginnings. Then manipulate them in the computer, print them out, further manipulate the images and back and forth. You can even send them to other students in other parts of the world for more tactile or computer manipulation.

I think it would be a shame to eliminate your earlier computer graphics class. In fact I would urge you to begin the process much, much earlier, say elementary where you can use both traditional and computer media side by side. Consider that they are not multually exclusive.

We must be responsive to the visual culture our students are experiencing. If not, we take the risk of becoming so out of touch with their world that we become obsolete and quaint.

What do you think?