Re: Teach Thru Technology

---------

From: Dr. Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 07:19:12 PST

Maintaining technology so that it will work properly during class time is essential but very time consuming. It can be a real time saver if you get students involved to help with maintaining the equipment. Some students really enjoy working around computers and are eager to help.

For me, it has become standard practice to run Norton Utilities or Disk Warrior once a week. I use Disk Doctor to fix problems and I Defrag the Hard Drives of each machine. This keeps them from acting up each week. When I don't take the time to do this, students usually have problems with the computers. What is needed is multiple copies of Norton Utilities, because it can take way too much time if you only have one copy. It is also essential to clean the mice, keyboards, etc to get rid of dust. Use canned air. Dust are computers worst enemy. If you are using laptops and do not have a way to plug them in, then it is a must to have back-up batteries and to teach students to check the amount of battery life they have on their computer.

Another thing is to make sure you are downloading all the latest free software upgrades. These are usually provided to fix any known bugs, etc.

Many schools do not have enough technical support, if any and teachers are usually on their own much of the time.

Cheers,

Diane