dark ages ( mimeograph machines)

---------

From: leah rachlis (leah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 15:23:32 PST

>Do any of you remember mimeograph machines?

This spring, I will be honored to attend a reunion for a summer camp I went to in the late 60's early 70's, which is where I hung out in the art cabin (and did wild art projects) , and also the kokobunk, where we produced the camp newspaper on a mimeograph machine!

Only because of the internet we have been enjoying a digital-reunion for the last few months, and there has been much discussion of the mimeograph machine which was the center piece of this early publishing experience...

I too had very little arts education at Freeport Public School - however, my next door neighbor was a graduate of Cooper Union, and my grandparents were both students at the Art Students League in NYC, so I was treated to what was called a "Classical" Art training at a very young age (I think I started in 3rd grade) - I do not remember ever having art class at public elementary school (circa 1965)

AND - Freeport public schools (bless their pointy little heads) dealt with my inability to read... (can you spell: dyslexia!) by pawning me off of BOCES - which had just started a GRAPHIC ARTS program - so, somehow I did get an art education in public school, we did pen and ink illustrations, we cut ruby-liths, learned to do paste-ups and Mechanicals, with drafting pens and razor blades (NO WAY NO HOW WOULD I GIVE MY STUDENTS RAZOR BLADES TODAY!)

While it was all a comedy or errors looking back - (I graduate #954 in a class of 1600 kids) Somehow I had some kind of success thanks to BOCES. Which did wonders for my nearly non-existent self esteem.

so - as much as we struggle today to keep arts in the mix - we sure have come a long way -

Leah

---