Re: About the Gates/Mixed Emotions

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 14:35:41 PST

As Susan pointed out, they raised the money themselves selling drawings
and books; these were purchased with the understanding a work of art
would result (but twenty years later?!). No artwork planned, no money
raised. And...

Heidi McElroy wrote:
> <snip> It is not like Jean-Claude and Christo are rolling in jewels
> and furs and limos like many celebrities today. Many people share in
> those 21 million dollars and they in turn spend it to help more wage
> earners <snip>

A report on the Gates on NPR mentioned that the couple live a very
low-key lifestyle, indeed, spreading that money around and benefiting
many others. Heidi and I are often on the same wavelength, and this is
no different.

Maggie

---