Re: About the Gates/Mixed Emotions

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 08:59:41 PST

Hi Group,
    I really love these discussions and points of view! Just wanted to add
that we are coming up on the 30th year anniversary of the installation of
the Vietnam Memorial by Maya Lin in Washington, D.C. There was a feature
article about this momentous event in the Columbus Dispatch recently. Maya
grew up in central Ohio. At the time of her winning the design competition,
there was tremendous expression of feeling about how a national memorial
should look. I have no idea what public or private funds were used (nor the
amounts.) For me, the experience of walking through that site brings tears
to my eyes and puts a lump in my throat. The emotional and spiritual
healing that site brings to its visitors is priceless.

                            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                            Art teacher, K-5, retired

Do we ever ask these same questions about something like the Super Bowl. It
cost a lot more than 21 million to put on the Super Bowl...as
sporting/entertainment event. Or a Rock concert? I wonder if you put the
number of
visitors....who will see this exhibit for free.....x the cost...it is
possible it might
come out to a $1 or so per person?

---