Re: Teach through technology

---------

From: Dr. Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 08:33:20 PST

Hi guys,

Computer technology can be used in so many educational ways. It can be used to communicate with other junior high/high school art students and students can exchange ideas about works of art that they are studying. Some high school and junior high school students are using Blackboard here in Texas. Blackboard is a safe and secure computer teaching environment where teachers can put up all kinds of information and conduct discussion groups, online chats, go to approved web sites, write about works of art, etc. Students can access Blackboard at home or local public libraries out of class. I have noticed however, that Blackboard is used, of course, in more affluent areas of the Dallas/Plano area.

Students can use the latest technological toys to create art and they can do so by integrating traditional art materials and comuter art software. By using scanners, digital cameras, and computer software, students can integrate the real environment, traditional art, with computer software to create works of art that are a combination of traditional media, the natural/human made environment and computer technology. Computer art is part of our visual culture and a necessary tool to help students become active participants in our technology rich visual culture.

There are at least two major obstacles in the K-12 and university level art classroom: funding computer technology and educating art teachers about creative ways to use computer technology to teach art history, aesthetics, art criticism and art studio. Over the last 15 years, as an early advocate of technology, this was and still is the main challenge. The way art teachers are prepared today, does not measure up to what we should be teaching and learning in K-12 art classrooms. Our studio classes at universities are still dominated by traditional media and art education methods classes have little time/technology to help prepare art teachers to learn about this. Art Educators have been very slow to accept the value of technology for many legitimate personal/professional reasons, not to mention the need for additional monies to purchase/install computer hardware/software.

Suddenly, art teachers and many other fields, are more out of touch with our present generation and we will find it challenging to connect with them unless we enjoin with their rich, albeit franetic visual/auditory technological world. We may yearn for technology to slow the pace of change...but this is an impossible battle...we won't win at this...Change is what it is....I vote we deal with our culture in the here and now...rather than muse about the "good ole days." Those days of mucky, mucking, around with natural clay, enjoying the sensual quality of charcoal on our hands, and the joy of moving paint and color around on a canvas are part of a collective aesthetic that is being replaced by a different aesthetic experience that seems very foreign to many of us. However, we must jump in to experience this aesthetic before we are so quick to judge that it offers very little for the artist. Like it or not, our current visual culture is dancing to the rhythm of ones and zeroes. Let us not be afraid to joi
n in what is likely to be the greatest visual culture revolution of our times.

What do you think?

Diane