Re: About the Gates/Mixed Emotions

---------

From: Heidi McElroy (hmcelroy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 08:18:31 PST

Most of that money goes back into the economy. The workers on the project
are paid. One of my former students was selected to work and she was to
receive a stipend. The fabric was paid for and helped support some textile
industry. I read recently that the steel was a boost in the arm for a
floundering steel plant. Filmakers benefit, publishers benefit. It is not
like Jean-Claude and Christo are rolling in jewels and furs and limos like
many celebrities today. Many people share in those 21 million dollars and
they in turn spend it to help more wage earners, some of whom are surely
contributing to medical research and charities. Just a thought off the top
of my head. H in VA

---