Re: Teach through technology

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 08:04:20 PST

The kids of today have grown up with technology and are used to the quick
pace and easy access to information/entertainment. They expect everything to
operate the same way. They often struggle with projects that require them to
use their imagination, think for themselves, or require a large time
commitment. As art teachers, you are also competing with Google image search
and clip art.

 Art professions of today often require technology skills. While I donıt
think that computer-based art will ever replace traditional art (the
physicality of the process and depth of the product canıt be matched), it
definitely has a place and should be addressed. I have seen kids who were
plagued by the ³blank paper syndrome² spring to life when drawing on the
computer, because they could manipulate things, undo an action, and other
forms of experimentation not possible with traditional artmaking. You can do
some highly creative things with programs such as KidPix, Photoshop,
Painter, etc. As technology facilitator/computer teacher, I involve
artmaking and creative decisions into many projects. Digital photography
opens a whole new avenue of art for classes of today. It may bring an
enjoyment of art to kids who otherwise wouldnıt have considered liking or
³being good at² it.

Melissa Enderle
Integrative Technology Facilitator
International School of Belgrade

On 2/13/05 4:04 PM, "Aust ArtClasses" <austart@bryanisd.org> wrote:

> I am considering implementing use of technology full force for my Art I
> classes, hoping to get them more interested in the class. Doing multimedia
> presentation, 3D animation , drawing and paint programs, etc. I also will
> continue the use of clay, fibers, etc. Is there anyone out there that has an
> entry level similiar to this that may want to share their views. I see from
> the shows released today at the movies, there is a need for technology
> implementation in the art classroom. I have my Technology Certification so
> feel I can lead then in this direction.
>
> Jackie Brewer (Aust)

---