RE: Teach through technology

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 07:22:19 PST

Hi Jackie,

Bringing technology into the art classroom is not only a good idea, but it
is an essential component. If we as art teachers are helping to prepare
students for the 'real world' and become active participants in it, the
utilization of technology is going to be integral in their ability to be
successful. I already integrate technology at a number of levels with my
students in all of my art classes. Sometimes it is as simple and
straightforward as using online research towards getting ideas for the
creation of artwork, other times it involves research for reports that I
have them do that are multi-media based in terms of their formatting. Still
other applications include utilizing Photoshop's image manipulation
techniques in order to help create additional image resources that are then
utilized in a variety of more traditional studio disciplines including
painting, drawing, printmaking and sculpture. I do have art technology
classes as well where the students are immersed in working in the computer
lab and work with both a variety of computer software programs as well as
use our digital movie cameras in order to explore film-making.

One of the more powerful parts of technology usage in education today has to
do with how connected it helps make a variety of different curriculum areas
in terms of how and what students learn. Art, by virtue of the tools that
technology has made available, should now be considered core to all of the
learning areas. Technology alone cannot make students into creative
learners, but the the infusion of art and technology can certainly help move
students quickly and efficiently down that path.

Kevan

---