Re: About the Gates/Mixed Emotions

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 06:45:26 PST

I am an unwavering Christo fan.
I have read how he was obliged to help wrap unsightly 3rd world aspects
of his homeland Bulgaria. As a boy scout of sorts, every Saturday his
team would wrap mounds of hay and old farm machinery with tarps to
create a 'better'(?) impression of Bulgaria for foreign travelers,
especially those on the Orient express, which passed by there.
His actual escape from that area, by train, was by being 'wrapped',
that is, hidden, in medical supplies.
His interest in community, dialogue, and the effects of technology on
our lives are all way ahead of his time.
He disrupts our normal timespace perception, and creates a surrealistic
and dreamlike effect. Kind of reminds me of sailing on our little boat.
His unique way reinterpreting such a basic art term as 'landscape'
alone makes for interesting discussion. He is one of my favorite
'difficult artists'.
I found lots of info on him in the book Currents by Smagula, which is
not even particularly new--1989.
Beth

---