Re: art class in the dark ages - memories

---------

From: barb cicchelli (bcriverspirit_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 06:21:19 PST

I remember that our clay was asbestos flakes with
water and glue added-I still have my little squirrel!!
I wonder if any of my past art teachers are still
around after mixing dry asbestos into clay!!-In fact I
had barrels of dry asbestos in the art room when I
first started teaching-wonder where that ended up? The
art teacher came to the room all through
elementary-one thing that stayed with me was being
taught how to cut letters of the alphabet out-with
folding etc. I also had Jackson Pollock's brother for
graphic art in college who taught me chancery
lettering-a very valuable skill that has come in handy
over the years. A common thread in many of our stories
also seems to be parental support-attaching importance
to our endeavors and framing and exhibiting our
work-Dad framed many of my pieces . In high school, I
drew and sold portraits of classmates. I was
fortunate to have very open minded art teachers with
an open approach to art creation-the emphasis was
ALWAYS on the process-a subtle difference from today
where I sometimes feel that parents have "masterpiece
expectations of their children's work.

---