Keyboard shortcuts and productivity

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 04:21:05 PST

From kindergarten on up, I teach students keyboard shortcuts. For the
younger children, they learn (and use proficiently) how to undo (Ctrl//Cmd
Z), save (Ctrl//Cmd S), and quit (Ctrl//Cmd Q). These should be learned by
all, as they are essentially the same in any program and saves time.

This is especially true of the Save command. While kids get so engrossed
that they neglect to take the time to do File - Save, it only takes a second
to use the shortcut - thus their work is saved more often.

Other ones we use a lot:
Command/Control:
* Q quit
* O- open
* P- print
* U underline
* I- Italics
* B bold
* K Insert Hyperlink
* F Find
* C Copy
* X Cut
* V Paste
* A Select All

When working with Photoshop, I expect students to memorize the commonly-used
key equivalents (b = brush, s = clone tool, v = move), as well as the
keyboard shortcuts (Cmd/Ctrl D to deselect, Cmd/Ctrl T to transform, etc.).
They have progressive quizzes that force them to memorize the shortcuts.

Overall, students catch on to the shortcuts quite quickly, since I
reinforce them daily. They soon remark about how more quickly they can work.
When using Photoshop or InDesign, students are reminded that in the
profession of design, time is money, and such shortcuts save valuable time.

I have made handouts for the PC and Mac on keyboard shortcuts. If anyone
wants them, I can send them via attachment.

Melissa Enderle
Integrative Technology Facilitator
International School of Belgrade

---