Re: art class in the dark ages (my story)

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 15:50:19 PST

 I was lucky to have some art and music teachers who came to our elementary
building once a week. They taught in our classrooms. We had no gym or PE.
We had ferocious games of dodge ball on the playground instead. And in the
winter we made ice paths on the slopes of the playground (Pittsburgh is very
hilly!) Our junior and senior high school had a good art program and
facilities. What I regret was not having the experience of drafting and
"shop." That was for the boys. Some courses were strictly drawn according to
gender bias. The boys were not allowed to take home ec. That was girls
stuff. I am very glad some positive changes have been made to this mode of
thinking over the decades.
    My happiest and most remembered experiences in art occurred in attending
Saturday school at the Carnegie Museum of Art. I did this from fifth
through 9th grade, then I went on to take college prep art classes at
Carnegie Tech (now Carnegie-Mellon University) for three years. These
programs gave me a really good foundation in art and collaboration with all
the other subject areas.

                        Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                        Art teacher, K-5, retired

---