Re: art class in the dark ages

---------

From: Patty Valens (pvalens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 09:52:57 PST

I too went to Catholic school, in the dark ages of the 1960's. I mostly
remember pasting a copy of famous works of art in a notebook and writing
about them. We made some art, but I remember very little about it - a
painting I did in 8th grade that I messed up the colors on and wanted to do
over, but the teacher wouldn't let me.

In high school there were only four art classes offered, but Sr. Alphonsus
was a good techer in the fact that she taught me how to work hard and to
always ask myself, "How can I make this better?" I had a college professor
who taught this way too. I think I pass this on to my middle school
students, maybe sometimes too much. One student said to me once,"I'm only
11!" She was right!