Re: art class in the dark ages

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 08:22:21 PST

>. . . We sometimes had "art" on Friday afternoons. . . .

I attended a one room school in rural Kansas. Linda Suderman was my
first grade teacher. She was very small - only slightly taller than
I was. She had five of us in first grade and 15 other students in
all the other grades from two to eight. Linda was only five or six
years older than my cousins Estel and Ruth in grade eight. She had
just completed two years of college the year before.

On Friday afternoons she used large mural chalks to create a
beautifully rendered imaginary landscape scene on one of the slate
chalkboards in the front of the school. We each a small box of
crayons with which to copy of her picture.

I do not remember why she only stayed one year, but seeing Linda
Suderman being a confident artist in front of the whole school was an
inspirations for me to practice drawing on my own. Drawing and
reading from the school set of encyclopedias became a frequent
self-learning activity during the next seven years as I sat with
nothing much else to do in that one room school.

Marvin

---