RE: It is time to restore the tax cuts! (Judy's Vent)

---------

From: Leslie Miller (zandeerae_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 07:23:56 PST

I'm going in to a "Failing" elementary school in Boston , every once in a
while. A friend teaches kindergarten there. She's driving herself into the
ground trying to get services for her students, But that's another story.

No art, music, or phys ed. This is the fourth year they are failing.
Failing at what? The state tests. The teachers and social workers risk
firing to get services for the kids, the supplies never come. Grants that
teachers write tend to disappear if the checks are sent to the main office
instead of the teacher who wrote the grant. There is a director of art, with
a second in command in Boston, but so many schools have no art, music or
phys ed. So.. I go in and we made a mural about PEACE. Even retired, I have
little time, but I go in.
 Everyone blames teachers, but it's the system and the administrators.
Teachers are blamed when they try to do good for the students. So sad!@Q

Les

Leslie Miller
Fountain Street Studios