art class in the dark ages

---------

From: Geoffrey McClain (skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 07:06:21 PST

After reading Linda's funny post about her experiences (of lack of
experiences) in grade school art, I thought I'd share some of mine.
I went to Catholic elementary school. We sometimes had "art" on Friday
afternoons. The nun would peel off small (4" x 6" ) reproductions of famous
works of art and we would paste them into our art copybook. It was green
and had lined pages. Then we took out our 8 Permapress (hard - not waxy)
crayons and copied the painting on the lined copybook page next to it. We
had to make it the same size so we drew a box first with pencil. I remember
the hardest picture to copy was DaVincis' Last Supper. All those apostles
and only 8 dull crayons! We only got one box of crayons to last us the
whole year so by the time The Last Supper came around, the points were
pretty dull. We were allowed to let our creativity blossom though, when we
did the border. We had to draw a 1" border around our finished copy and
that we could do any way we chose. I loved doing the border.
Except for this art experiece in elementary school, I only remember coloring
mimeograph pictures. Do any of you remember mimeograph machines? I used to
love it when the nun passed out fresh copies still warm from the machine.
Oh the smell! and the warm feeling against my face! It was always cold in
our classroom. We had to wear short sleeve blouses all winter long - no
sweaters allowed. The nuns wore their warm habits.
Sky in NJ

---