Cultures!!!!!!!

---------

From: LaDonna Dixon (ldixon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 08:18:49 PST

YES! I incorporate cultural/historical elements into the art curriculum
ALL year 'round. We look at Cave art, Egyptian art, African-American art
(created by or influenced by history) Greek Urn Design, Native American
symbology, Asian symbology with Mandalas, Paper making (origin- Asia)
Origami (Asian) etc..... Could GO ON and ON!!!! It is ALL so rich!

LaDonna Dixon, NBCT
Visual Art Teacher
Round Top Elementary
803-691-8676 x. 3304

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take
 but by the moments that take our breath away."

>>> Nnaell@aol.com 02/10/05 10:59 AM >>>
I completely agree!!! During my teacher training, we had a workshop
of multi-cultural education where the presenter identified several
different levels of integration of multi-cultural learning. He said
most teachers were at the level that they "identified" various
people/concepts as being multi-cultural. The best place to be was to
use all different cultures all the time without making the point of
saying to students...OK...this is BLACK artists or this is a HISPANIC
artist...etc.....Of course I talk with students about an artist's
cultural background and how it affects his/her artwork...but other wise,
it is business as usual...all year long....

So when my principal made a point to tell me we do not have
multicultural displays I almost fell over....as I walked through my
school I saw at least 3 displays identifying a variety of cultures the
students had learned about in art class...guess i am too low key about
it!

---
leave-artsednet-20361K@lists.getty.edu
---