Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Black History EVERY month

From: LaDonna Dixon (ldixon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 06:58:28 PST

I teach black art history EVERY month. Always have. My schools have been
diverse in population, but even if they were not - I enjoy the diversity
of art influenced by a variety of cultures and historical elements. It
is important to offer up a plate of cultue for your students to indulge
in. Faith Ringgold, Henry Tanner, William Johnson, Jonathan Green,
Romere name a few. We are teaching lessons on RIGHT now. I
have a wonderful student teacher and she is doing a beautiful job
incorporating these artists.
Note-I am female and caucasian. If that matters.

Net Gold list had TONS of good info on Black History
Month that I didn't get shared with you....

Here are two articles posted to Ed Tech List:

Might want to share with Social Studies... I can see
some good opportunities for interdisciplinary units
for Black History. I tried to integrate Black histroy
throughout the year (that is why I taught my Haitian
art unit to 6th grade - brought in Jacob Lawrence with
that unit too).

Hmmm.... I still have last week's Scout Report too
that I haven't read. Believe me, I KNOW you don't have
time to read all this stuff either -- but for the one
person who does - I post it.

When I was teaching - I tried to "learn something new
everyday"....I would share what I learned with my
kiddles. I wonder what I will learn today? To get your
kiddies to be life long learners - you must become one
too (smile).

I am about to download a FREE software that will check
broken links - perhaps that will be the new fo rtoday?

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

Do You Yahoo!?

LaDonna Dixon, NBCT
Visual Art Teacher
Round Top Elementary
803-691-8676  x. 3304
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take
 but by the moments that take our breath away."