Re: Happy Chinese New Year - Feb. 9 - Year of the Rooster

---------

From: Cathy Gaul (allgaul_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 19:14:15 PST

I didn't really have plans for Chinese New Year projects for any of my classes. My art room has been filled with cardboard boxes and sheets of middle school play props for so long and finally today the room got cleared. It felt SO great to have the space back in order! I wanted to do something fun with my 2nd graders (I have the 2 classes back to back) so today I taught the them how to draw and then paint a rooster for a spur-of-the-moment art class. We have been playing doodle-drawing from a new book that was donated to the 'free art' section of the art book shelf from time to time and they were having a lot of fun with it.
First we talked about what the year was predicted to be like, and the personality of someone born in the year of the Rooster, and what people did for Chinese New Year. I found a rooster graphic on a Chinese New Year website and the Chinese characters for 'Year of the Rooster'. We drew it together with them following me, bit by bit, building the drawing with shapes they all knew how to make. We practiced once and I gave them big paper to draw it again as big as possible.
I had been given some of those paint squeezable marker things by the PTO after a function. I would have never purchased them, I would rather the kids learn how to use a brush. But they were perfect for our fun rooster and the colors were vivid. They enjoyed trying out the new paint markers and made borders around the rooster with all the colors making dots and squiggles. Looked like a bingo game was about to break out to me! It was a fun time and they all were making rooster sounds after awhile. Pictures if you would like to see tomorrow.
Fun!

Cathy

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.