Re: nudity -- long post

---------

lpapanicolaou_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 17:09:29 PST

Dear Jane,

My first art history teaching job was a night course in the
adult ed program at Brooklyn College and my memories of that
group of students tell me you handled the topic with due
circumspection. But I'd take issue with the phrasing 'self-
censorship' because of its implied negative judgement on
those of us who exercise appropriate discretion in the
material we show our classes.

I teach middle school, where there are many interconnected
issues involving puberty and self image that enter into any
lesson about the human body and even self-portraiture. Of
course I want my students to be artistic risk-takers, but
for them to be that they must first feel safe in my
classroom. My unit of the human figure is dubbed 'no more
stick figures' and includes a number of lessons on
alternatives--we've used Olympic pictograms and posters for
the school athletic department as themes.

Perhaps because I know my subject very well (PhD art history
N.Y.Univ Inst of Fine Art) I know lots of things to teach
that don't assault my students' insecurities while still
meeting state standards for balanced content. The dean who
hired me to teach a bunch of middle-aged adults back at that
Brooklyn College job gave me some starting advice that I use
to this day: the object is not to teach them everything,
but to leave them wanting to learn more.

Sorry--it wasn't my intention to soapbox...

Linda P