Re: nudity (long story)

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 06:20:10 PST

Grant headquarters wrote:

> However, we live in a world where our children are being sheltered from
> more of life's experiences. I have prep children who do not know how to
> use scissors because their parents were frightened they may hurt
> themselves. Other children (just yesterday) had parents who were
> wanting to be with them all the day as it was raining and the children
> did not want to have raincoats on, so the parents wanted to carry their
> umbrellas over them between the buildings. One parent, who had adopted
> two children from India, was upset that just before our Christmas
> holidays, a grade had seen Ice Age, as apparently a parent died at the
> start, and she thought this was too traumatic for her children.

After reading Gina's post I thought of a story sent to me by
another retired teacher in Kansas City. It reminded me of the
in my own childhood and how I survived.

Subject: Kids Born in the 30;s, 40's, 50;s, and 60;s
and 70's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked
and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and
  didn't
get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered
with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors
or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no
helmets, not to mention, the risks we took
hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts
or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm
day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a
bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one
bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop
with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE
WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,
as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of
scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out
we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a
few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no
video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video
tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no
personal computers, no internet or internet chat
rooms..........
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth
and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate
worms and although we were told it would happen, we
did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live
in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and
knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked
in and talked to them!

Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the
team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with
disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the
law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best
risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of
  innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,
and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to
grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government

regulated our lives for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with
scissors, doesn't it?!

                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons