Re: nudity

---------

From: Grant headquarters (jggrant_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 02:41:35 PST

My initial thoughts were ones of sheer, unadulterated anger. The use of
the human form, whether male or female, clothed or unclothed, has been
integral to art in our culture for centuries. I have had students look at
some indigenous Australian art based on breast paintings. My grade six
students last year went to the national capital and saw the 3 metre nude
sculpture of a pregnant woman created by Ron Mueck. It is down in
Melbourne right now and I have been telling people to go and see it before
it is returned to Canberra. I have not had reports of damaged children.

However, we live in a world where our children are being sheltered from
more of life's experiences. I have prep children who do not know how to
use scissors because their parents were frightened they may hurt
themselves. Other children (just yesterday) had parents who were wanting
to be with them all the day as it was raining and the children did not
want to have raincoats on, so the parents wanted to carry their umbrellas
over them between the buildings. One parent, who had adopted two children
 from India, was upset that just before our Christmas holidays, a grade had
seen Ice Age, as apparently a parent died at the start, and she thought
this was too traumatic for her children. Thankfully, by the time they get
to grade six, we have (and I am sure this is true of many schools in our
community) enabled the children (and parents) to come to grips with what
will, and will not, hurt them.

Surely, the best idea would be to pick your audience. Encourage a parent
group to help out with setting up art exhibitions, maybe having a viewing
night for them of proposed videos. Smile sweetly, and if all else fails,
leave because you will never convince those who choose to live their lives
in fear and there will always be those who need your abilities and will
appreciate you.

Gina
Melbourne, Australia

---