RE: nudity

---------

tracy.conley_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 12:42:27 PST

Thanks for the feedback. One of the parents pulled all 3 of her kids
out of school today. That makes me feel great!

I also presented Matisse's dancers to elementary students. Before I showed the image, I explained that Matisse was trying to convey the gracefulness of dance. I drew "organic" stick figures on the board and asked if they could see the gracefulness of the dance movement (of course, they could). Then I drew clothes on the figures and they could see how it hid so much of the movement. I then explained that Matisse chose to dress the figures in a way that the movement was not hidden--he dressed them in orange. There was no problem from students or parents.

On the other hand, when I had sixth graders choose a Matisse painting to emulate, a couple of the boys chose nudes. It was obvious that their choice wasn't art based. I let their parents know what they had chosen and explained that whether it was okay with them or not, I was telling the boys that they had to choose something else.

I agree that nudity is a delicate subject and needs to be presented carefully and respectfully...and hopefully the community will response in the same way.

I often refer back to the movie, Titanic. Which scene was a healthier example for teenagers to see...the one where she is posing for the drawing? Or the one in the back seat of the car? Hmmm…point of view, indeed.

Judi Morgan
Saint George’s School
2929 W. Waikiki Road
Spokane, WA 99208